Pleat & Crimp Fold
Sometimes an origami diagram will simply say ‘make a pleat fold’. What does this mean? This simple photo tutorial shows how to make a pleat and crimp fold.
Sometimes there will be clear directions how how far to fold, and other times not. The most basic way to explain a pleat fold is a paper fan. The paper is folded one way and then the other.
1. Starting with any sheet of paper, here we have a half square.
2. Fold the right edge to the left edge.
3. Fold the front flap back to the right, leaving a gap.
4. If you pick up the paper, you'll be able to see the 'pleat'.
4. To make a crimp fold, simply fold the paper in half from top to bottom.
5. You can pull the right end down and flatten the paper. This is how you might create something like a snake or worm.
Your Pleat & Crimp Fold is Complete!
Now that you’ve learnt the origami pleat folding and crimp folding techniques, check out all of the other beginner origami tutorials here.
Made this origami? Leave a comment & submit your photo here.